The Canadian Federation of Students–Ontario seeks a Government Relations and Policy Coordinator, based in Toronto, to assist with the government relations and policy work of the Federation.
The Canadian Federation of Students–Ontario represents 350,000 college and university students from 38 students’ unions in Ontario. CFS–Ontario is an autonomous, incorporated, not-for profit organization, affiliated with the Canadian Federation of Students, which brings together over one-half million students across Canada. The Canadian Federation of Students was formed in 1981 to provide students with an effective and united voice, provincially and nationally and to provide cost-saving services to its members.
For more information, please visit: www.cfsontario.ca
Contract duration: Full time, twelve (12) month contract
Start date: January 3, 2018
Salary: Approx. $1,900 bi-weekly, plus benefits
The Government Relations and Policy Coordinator shall undertake duties as directed by the Federation’s Ontario Executive. Such duties include, but are not limited to:
Government Relations: maintaining ongoing relations with government and quasi-government agencies; monitoring, analyzing and developing responses to government announcements and legislative developments; and coordinating meetings between student representatives and Members of Provincial Parliament and other government representatives.
Policy: assisting with the development of the Federation’s issues policy; preparing and delivering presentations to members, coalition partners, and other interested parties, on Federation government relations priorities, on the Federation, the work of the Federation, post-secondary education, and student-related issues; acting as a resource for the Ontario Executive Committee and students’ unions in matters pertaining to policy development; coordinating and assisting other staff with the development of government submissions, issues backgrounders, and briefing notes; implementing and maintaining internal protocol for content development and editing; and resourcing and helping prepare the full-time elected representatives for media work associated with their positions.
General Work: attending and assisting with the organizing of provincial and national general membership meetings and executive meetings; engaging in collective office work, including general operational and day-to-day administrative responsibilities; working collectively with the other Federation staff; and performing additional duties as assigned.
- College or university education, or equivalent work experience;
- Current knowledge of the Ontario government and the Canadian political process, and of the aims of and issues facing the student movement in Ontario and Canada;
- Knowledge of the Canadian Federation of Students–Ontario, the Canadian Federation of Students and the representation and services provided to their membership;
- Experience in the student movement in Canada;
- Demonstrated experience and skills in strategic planning, media and government relations and publication editing;
- Bilingualism is an asset;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and the Office Suite (2004 and above) and Adobe Creative Suite (Version 4 and above); and proficiency in working in a Macintosh environment; and
- Willingness to travel and work evenings and weekends
The Canadian Federation of Students–Ontario is an employment equity employer. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, queer and trans people, and women.
Only those candidates contacted for an interview will be notified. No telephone or email inquiries.
Multiple jobs may be posted, please use the following subject line:
“Application: Government Relations and Policy Coordinator”
Deadline for Application: Friday, December 1 @ 5 pm